McKennaii Mushrooms (Psilocybe Cubensis)
Psilocybe Semilanceata. McKennaii mushrooms are a strain of Psilocybe cubensis, one of the most commonly used species of psilocybin mushroom.
The latter is a medium-strength magic mushroom, whereas McKennaii mushrooms — like many other strains of Psilocybe cubensis — are very potent.
This means that they contain higher concentrations of the compounds psilocybin and psilocin, which are responsible for psychedelic effects.
McKennaii mushrooms get their name from the psychonaut, lecturer, author, and psilocybin enthusiast Terence McKenna.
Several of his books explored different aspects of psilocybin mushrooms, as well as his own mushroom experiences and interpretations of them, such as The Invisible Landscape (1975), True Hallucinations (1989), The Archaic Revival (1991), and Food of the Gods (1992).
McKenna was known to discuss and recommend the high dose psilocybin experience in many of his talks, so perhaps it’s fitting that a potent type of magic mushroom would be named after him.
In this guide on McKennaii mushrooms, we will explore various aspects of these mushrooms, including:
- How to identify McKennaii mushrooms
- How to grow Psilocybe cubensis (McKennaii) mushrooms, as well as where to obtain spores
- McKennaii mushrooms potency
- McKennaii mushrooms dosage
- The effects of McKennaii mushrooms
We have to emphasize that you should be aware of the law surrounding psilocybin mushrooms where you live, as mushrooms containing this psychedelic compound are illegal in most countries around the world. If you want to grow and possess McKennaii mushrooms, you need to be aware of the legal risks involved.
As a general rule of thumb, you should consider McKennaii mushrooms to be stronger than Psilcoybe cubensis and adjust your dosage accordingly. You should take a lower dosage of them compared to less potent species of magic mushrooms (assuming you want a similar intensity of effects).
Erowid lists the following dosages for Psilocybe cubensis, a medium strength psilocybin mushroom:
- Light: 0.25-1 grams
- Common: 1-2.5 grams
- Strong: 2.5-5 grams
- Heavy: 5+ grams
With Erowid’s dosage recommendations for Psilocybe cubensis and people’s experiences with McKennaii mushrooms in mind, the following dosages for the latter can be used as a rough guide:
- Light: 0.15-0.75 grams
- Common: 0.75-1.5 grams
- Strong: 1.5-3 grams
- Heavy: 3+ grams
McKennaii Mushroom Effects
When ingesting McKennaii mushrooms, you can experience a range of perceptual, emotional, physical, and mystical effects. They also vary depending on your set and setting, and the shrooms dosage that you take.
Let’s look at the kind of experience you can expect from different dosages:
McKennaii Mushroom Effects At A Low Dose (0.15-0.75 g)
- Colors become slightly brighter
- The edges of objects appear more distinct
- Things look as if they’re in high definition
- The features of objects moving slightly
- Music and external sounds have a different quality to them
- Positive mood
- Increased appreciation for music
- A slight feeling of nausea
- Dilated pupils
- Increase heart rate, blood pressure, and temperature
- A light body high
McKennaii Mushroom Effects At A Medium Dose (0.75-1.5 g)
- Colors become noticeably enhanced and vivid
- Objects move, morph, and “breathe”
- You can see geometric patterns overlaid on objects and the environment, as well as behind closed eyelids
- You can see tracers (trails left behind moving objects, similar to those seen in long exposure photography)
- Synesthesia: When different sense perceptions become mixed, so you can see sounds and hear colors, for example
- Sounds become noticeably distorted
- Euphoria (including when listening to music)
- Anxiety, fear, dread, or panic
- A feeling of contentment or peace of mind
- Nausea (this feeling of uneasiness in the stomach usually only lasts at the beginning of the trip)
- Sometimes vomiting
- More dilated pupils
- A further increase in heart rate, blood pressure, and temperature
- A stronger body high
- Muscle weakness
McKennaii Mushroom Effects At A High Dose (1.5-3 g)
- Visions of imagery, scenes, and entities (both with eyes opened or closed)
- Seeing objects and people morph in intense and strange ways
- Strong geometric and fractal hallucinations
- Auditory hallucinations
- Boundless love
- Intense feelings of gratitude
- A strong feeling of euphoria and joy when listening to music
- Intense states of dread or despair
- A feeling of sacredness
- Strong nausea
- A greater chance of vomiting
- An intense body high
- Loss of coordination (this is why it’s important to have a trip sitter when taking a high dose, as they can ensure that you don’t jeopardize your physical safety in any way)